Tell us the issue you experienced

Long URL (more than 255 chars) truncated

Bookmarking an URL longer than 255 characters truncates the URL at 255 characters. The bookmark is then not accessible. Tested with Diigolet, Firefox Extension and Chrome Extension. The problem is apparently in Diigo itself storing only the 255 first chars of an URL.

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Romain BornetRomain Bornet shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Fuzbolero .Fuzbolero . commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using shortened-URL services like bit.ly is a different decision, and not appropriate for all situations. Therefore, we will be in the situation where some of the bookmarks need to be saved with such long URLs too. This may be a difficult performance dilemma for Diigo, though. I imagine that such a change can potentially slow the service down. Would be nice to get a confirmation from Diigo if that is the main reason for the reluctance in fixing this.

• Oliver FOliver F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The truncated URLs are still a problem! Not all URLs can be shortened to fit in 255 characters. At least warn your users when adding a bookmark that the URL is too long. Silently cutting off the remaining characters leads to long problem searches.

• dave parkerdave parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this is concerning and can lead to data loss. It's not unreasonable these days to see long URLs for form submissions, search queries, and sites that encode user state in the GET parameters.

In addition to losing the bookmark, the user has no idea that it even happened when adding it by hand or importing from delicious. Aside from that I haven't had any problems and it's working great!

• Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the max of long URL is 255 characters. It is adequate for in
    most user scenarios.Please shorten URL when limitation is exceeded.

Feedback and Knowledge Base