I suggest you ...

Watch a website for changes

I have many web pages where I want to get informed if anything changed here (like forum postings).
Here I use a Firefox Add-On (UpdateScanner) where I can tell for each site to ignore numbers (zseful for forums) and how many characters must have changed so the page is handled as modifyed.

Please add such a feature to Diigo.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Oliver SahrOliver Sahr shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Oliver SahrOliver Sahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some additional information:
    The user should be able to watch a bookmark in Diigo for changes.
    Here he enters the check interval (once per day, every hour, ...).

He also can determine if changes on numbers should be ignored (useful for example for forum posting counter at the user names) and what amount of characters must be changed, so a page is marked as "Changed".

If a page is changed, he gets this page shown in a list "Watched pages".
    If he clicks that page, he gets the new version of the website shown where all changes are highlighted with a yellow marker.
    The user should be able to select the marker color for each page individually, because pages can have different background colors.

The Add-on "Update Scanner" for Mozilla Firefox offers such a feature.
    You find it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/update-scanner/
    Please look also at the screen shots you see at this web page.

Technical:
    Update Scanner stores a copy of the web page (the current version) and compares it with the actual version.
    This way the changes can be highlighted.
    And this way Update Scanner can display the current page (without changes), the old page (old version) and the current page with highlighted changes.

This is useful for:
    - watching forums postings for changes (you can disable email notification and get less mails)
    - watching download pages for changes so you get informed when a new version is available
    - watching other pages like blogs for changes (where no notification is available)

Feedback and Knowledge Base