I suggest you ...

allow editing of bookmarked urls

I can't edit the url of a bookmark I have saved. Sometimes, I accidentally bookmark the wrong section of a page, i.e. bookmarking the comments section of a blog entry, and all I want to do is remove the #comments from the end of the url. I don't seem to be able to do that in Diigo, so I have to delete the old bookmark and make a new one. Irritating!

182 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
oxy moraoxy mora shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mercury 006Mercury 006 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a substantial progress! Thank you very much! Diigo rules, and the wonderful people behind the scene, too!!!

• MaxgodoyMaxgodoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really important! If a site changes the URL for some reason, the highlights and notes wouldn't be lost if we could edit the URL or maybe copy the highlights and notes to a new bookmark with the changed URL.

• Rachel HuangRachel Huang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We definitely need this! This is the main reason why I moved away from Delicious and then I find Diigo has the same problem. I want to be able to preserve my tags when I change the url and not have to make a new entry every time. This is particularly important if I'm trying to keep track of webcomics and the like.

• Oliver SahrOliver Sahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

EDITING THE URL IS POSSIBLE

I recognized, that it is possible to edit the URL of a bookmark.
    I just need to use the Diigo Toolbar (I have Mozilla Firefox) fot this.

Here I open the URL out of Diigo, so the bookmark icon in the Diigo Toolbar gets a red color.
    Clicking on this icon opens an edit dialog.
    Now I just click on the URL and the URL becomes editable.

If I change the URL I get a second entry in my library.
    Both entries have the same title, the same tags and the same description.
    So I just need to delete the entry with the old URL.

• Oliver SahrOliver Sahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It often happens that I have to change the URL.
    At the moment I have to bookmark the new entry and copy and past all tads and the description from the old entry.
    Under the usability aspect this is a mess.

• Mercury 006Mercury 006 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey admins!

It's one year later... any effort in implementing this feature??? Honestly: Are you working on this? Can we continue to hope???

• Elizabeth RichardsonElizabeth Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to replace my URLs in a Diigo list with corresponding bit.ly custom URLs !!!
    I want to be able to provide my learners with links which my learning outreach team would have provided them!!! I can therefore track how effective my outreach has been - because each original URL would have been extended with Google URL builder prior to custom shortening.
    This approach would not affect the integrity of the URL. Could you please allow this? Thanks.

• tomphelantomphelan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I read technical books online and sometimes sites change the query string parameters for some trivial UI reason, but then this breaks my highlighting making my highlights useless to me. If I could edit the URL of my Diigo highlights this would fix my problem but alas! this is not possible. The only solution is to open the page with the new trivially changed query string parameter and re-do my highlights. Needless to say this is too tedious to be worth the effort.

• legio1legio1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand that if I change the URL I might lose any annotations beyond the tags and the description I gave to the page but in many cases I can live with that. Just give me a warning attached to editing the URL which says I'll lose highlights etc.

• Natalie SpenceNatalie Spence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update only the annotations made by the person who is changing the url in their bookmark and leave others untouched. The ability to update the url is a basic function. Deleting one and adding another means you post virtually the same link again, plus you have to redo any annotations, descriptions and keywords.

• Victor BargerVictor Barger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps you could add a "Change URL" button to the Edit Bookmark form? When clicked, this button would first warn the user of the problems associated with changing the URL (e.g., loss of annotations). If the user still wishes to proceed, diigo would create a new bookmark for the new URL, copying the information from the old bookmark (e.g., title, description, tags), and then delete the old bookmark.

• Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make a new bookmark with this new URL. Currently our system
    do not support the automatic update of URL.Though it seems like a
    simple request, unlike other services, it will require quite a bit of
    coding changes.
    Besides,because of Diigo's unique ability to annotate on webpages
    and those are specific to URLs, offering the options to allow users to
    edit the URL will potentially lead to unexpected complication.
    In addition, you can use the cache feature.Diigo captures a
    "photograph" of a page in case the webpage changes in the future.

• manu blablamanu blabla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's funny... I was going to send a bug report because I couldn't see the URL edit link -- but apparently it's not a bug ?

Really you can't update an url in Diigo ??

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base