I suggest you ...

Show the status of an imported set of bookmarks

I'm currently importing a very large set of bookmarks (15k+ bookmarks), and the current landing page is moderately helpful at best. Here's what it says right now:

Task is being processed. You will receive notification by email when it is done.
Importing may take some time to complete, depending on how many bookmarks you have and how many other people are trying to import at the same time.
Your tag cloud may require more processing and will be available later.

What I would like to see is a status bar to show how many people are ahead of me and an estimate for how long it'll take. That way I and others will know when to start getting nervous that things aren't going as expected. For users who are importing very large batches of bookmarks, this is especially important because the option to import them manually (as one of my friends is doing) after seeing that they aren't showing up is impractical. And of course, it's unknown (for me) what would happen if one imported the same set of bookmarks twice.

Keep up the good work! I like what I see here so far, and I'll definitely be a Diigo power user.

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sushi MustWriteSushi MustWrite shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Alexander van der SarAlexander van der Sar shared a merged idea: Mention what 'a while' is when importing delicious bookmarks. An hour, day, week??  ·   · 

23 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brian WBrian W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sandy now that the huge migration has passed, can you tell me how long it takes to have tags/cloud updated after an import? I only imported about 90 bookmarks I think. Thanks.

• Foetsie .Foetsie . commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be very helpfull. It took 12 days. I had no idea if they were going to be uploaded or not.

• okhawajaokhawaja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i've been waiting since the end of January to have my FFX bookmarks imported, but still no dice. Attempted it over 6 times. Would love to use this service, but it looks like i won't be able to.

• Manolo BlahnikManolo Blahnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like I'm going to give up on this service before I even start. I've imported 3 times over the course of 4 days. Still nothing appearing in my bookmarks. It's Crazy :-\

• Max KanterMax Kanter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For other reference, I had 2272 bookmarks in my import... Thank you Sandy and Diigo!

Ok wow, it only took a few minutes to import my new delicious exported bookmarks. Yea!

Thanks for the response Sandy, I'm not sure what happened but the problem was with my file. I'll try again.

• Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Max Kanter The html file you uploaded contains no bookmarks.
    Please export bookmarks from delicious again.
    As you can imagine,our servers have been swamped with ton loads of imports,which means that we have to process 1000 times the amount of database write that we normally do.
    We try our best to meet this challenge.All our team members throw ourselves heart and soul,without reservation,into the work of providing users with easier access and promoting faster import speed.
    New servers has also been added and our system recently received a comprehensive upgrade to adapt rapidly to the bursts. Our efforts soon yield results.
    We are thrilled to announce the importing speed has been sharply increased. All the imports will be completed at most two days. Tag clouds are available later. Premium users get some priority. Their imports will be completed in 2 hours. Diigo now gains momentum with a new competitive advantage.
    Good things not stop here.With our dedicated work,the process will be continuously accelerated.

I also got an email (27 hours ago as I write this) which said "Bookmarks import done!" But as of now, still no bookmarks. I don't understand if I should try it again or if I'd end up with duplicates that way... sandy_diigo can you give us some advice?

• Marcin KasperskiMarcin Kasperski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just noted there is exactly the same problem with export. Yesterday I clicked that I want an export, no sign of it being finished so far.

• Michael RobertMichael Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. 5 days and waiting here. Pinboard imported 2000+ bookmarks and all tags within a few hours.

• Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All the imports of bookmarks will be completed in 3 days. Creating
    tag clouds requires too much resources to support.
    It takes more time before servers can accommodate these
    requests of creating tag clouds.
    Premium users may get some priority.Their tasks will be
    completed in 3 hours. They will be available later.
    We are upgrading our data system and adding new servers
    to make sure it goes faster and smoother.Please rest assured
    it will be done.

• Max KaehnMax Kaehn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It took a couple of days for my ~3700 bookmarks to get imported, and my tag cloud still hasn’t caught up after another 3 days. It’d be nice to have a place to consult the status— even something like “there are 38 million bookmarks waiting to be processed ahead of yours” would let me see progress.

• Luminosity DevilleLuminosity Deville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Three days, same message on the import page. A status bar would be nice. I don't have a large set of bookmarks--only about 2k of them. It's not good to start with a new service and have one's first emotion be exasperation.

• lucyguestlucyguest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like a status bar for importing, and like digital maven my import appears to be unsuccessful. I tried an import of 400 bookmarks from Delicious and received this email today:

"Your bookmarks were imported to Diigo. You can check them at (url to mylibrary). Your tag cloud may still require more processing and will be available shortly. If you haven't installed the powerful diigo extension, go to http://www.diigo.com/tools";

So far I'm assuming I will need to try importing again, but I don't want to do that and end up with duplicate bookmarks if the import wasn't actually a failure, but some other kind of glitch.

• Kristan HoffmanKristan Hoffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So far it's been 24 hours for me and no email that my import is done. Just over 1000 bookmarks via an HTML file.

I too would like to know how much longer to expect. It's not that I can't wait; I can! I just want to know how long.

• digital mavendigital maven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Status of progress, and then also whether or not it was successful.

I had to wait 2 whole days until I received an email confirming "Bookmark import done!" Unfortunately, nothing is in my library, so the import may be "done" but it wasn't successful.

• Michael NiemandMichael Niemand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same here. I imported my delicious bookmarks 1 day ago, my library page sez: "This is the central place to store all your bookmarks, highlights, notes, pictures. For now, you haven't saved anything yet.
    You can get started by adding new:"

There should at least be a message if my import is still taking place or if there was a problem ...

• Marcin KasperskiMarcin Kasperski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I initiated my import about 24 hours ago. It is understandable, that the service is under heavy load, and if I were told that - say - I am to wait for 3 days, I would accept it. But I'd just like to have any kind of estimation...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base