I suggest you ...

Improve Read It Later functionality

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Soul BookSoul Book shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Adamo CrespiAdamo Crespi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an iPhone and i use ReadItLater, an app that is integrated with a lot of other apps (such as MobileRSS and Safari too by using a js bookmark). While i'm reading an article i can send it to ReadItLater. When i'm connected to a WiFi network and open the ReadItLater app it automatically download the page so i can read it off-line also.

It is a great functionality because i have to do nothing: all is do by the app. I can also read the saved articles on my notebook or desktop PC.

It should be a great function to integrate in Diigo.

• Digital DoctorDigital Doctor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see whenerver I add a link to "read it later", a dialogue window come up requesting to close up that window! also, these items are actually bookmarked into "untagged" category.

For these two issues, I would recommend to have this list more handy into a standalone temporary list without any nags.

• Max KanterMax Kanter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if the RIL functionality integrated with RTM (Remember The Milk). Clicking a RIL button could add a task to read later with a URL in the RTM task which would render the bookmark in a frame with narrow diigo frame at the top of the browser with options to delete or maintain the bookmark after reading.

• Yoni BlumbergYoni Blumberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a read it later that goes to a separate area than the regular unread and untagged bookmarks, and then a one click bookmark button to quickly bookmark real things that you will keep (as opposed to article you just want to read and delete).

• Soul BookSoul Book commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh. I just tried experimenting with ReadItLater and it's worse than i thought. Because a RIL item automatically becomes one of your standard bookmarks after you read it.

NOT good if you just RIL-ed a whole load of random pages that you don't know if they are good or not.
    I have a whole load of tabs open and i was planning to just close them all and Read Them Later. Which would work great with the ReadItLater extension - but which would fill my library with potential rubbish if i use the Diigo function. Sigh.

Oh, and DON'T make opening Unread items from the toolbar OVERWRITE the current tab!! Making me lose the forum post that i was typing! Grr.
    Open in a new tab - or at least give an option. (actually, that goes for the whole toolbar!)

Was just looking enviously at the ReadItLater extension for firefox, but i'm loathe to install another extension and sign up to another service when diigo should fill the need. But right now diigo's RIL functionality is rather weak. A few suggestions:

A big "Read it later" button for the top toolbar next to the "d" button. With a dropdown option to view your RILs.
    (right now the toolbar seems the only way to add a RIL item, you can't do it with right click or from the dropdown menu. I'd rather hide the toolbar).

Separate RILs from bookmarks more. Right now, in my library, i have All (in bookmarks and RILs), ReadItLater (only RILs) and Bookmarks (inc Bookmarks and RILs.) Imho RIL items shouldn't show up as bookmarks until you read them and choose whether to save them. They should be segregated.

Add "read it later" to right click menus, and to right clicking a link. So i can quickly right click a lot of links to read later.

What happened to the slideshow funtion? It would be cool to be able to burn through your RILs like a slideshow - either in order or in random order-stumbleupon style.

If there are tag suggestions from the page, add them automatically to the RIL, so you at least have a chance to categorise them. If you decide to make it a real bookmark later you can always deselect them.

When reading a RIL, give an option to save it permanently, or to bin it. (i guess this, plus the "next unread item" functionality would involve putting a small bar across the top of the screen. (similar to diigo meta, but without all the bottom bit)

Feedback and Knowledge Base