I suggest you ...

Integrate citation and bibliography features according to accepted formatting standards

Diigo is a great tool for collecting information, in order to be more useful in the academia, it should offer creation of bibliography and citations according to accepted formatting rules used in journals and publications. Tools that already have these features and somewhat overlap with Diigo are for instance Mendeley, Endnote Web or NoodleBib.

684 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Tomas NTomas N shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • jefferscoreyjefferscorey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you create this, please also make it compatible with EasyBib and/or an export to Google Drive to make citations easier. Thank you!

• margarets007margarets007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, i'd totally love this and online pdf annotation! Im trying to convert all my classmates to diigo but its hard without these two features.

• Patrizia RebullaPatrizia Rebulla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely, totally agree! I too can't stand anymore to sign into yet another service, thus I'd be only too glad to stick to Diigo. And I've so much stuff in my Diigo account! And may I add the possibility to export not only your links, but also the relevant tags and lists to a blog? (I use wp and can't find a way to do that)

• MOHAMMAD SADEGHMOHAMMAD SADEGH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thank you Nathan Hitz for the idea: "just work toward compatibility between Diigo and Zotero, the premier bibliographic tool for both offline and online research" . Zotero or easybib.com.
    I also agree with you.

• Hans De KeulenaerHans De Keulenaer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd suggest to have a look at easybib.com, a great service that allows to cite 40 types of sources by entering simply a url.

• Evan HarmonEvan Harmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this should be the next big upgrade for Diigo. Think Mendeley and Zotero. It's one of those things where you hope to not have yet another web service/account. I'd love to be able to stick to Diigo for social bookmarking, annotation, and citation!

• Ingrid Veilleux Ingrid Veilleux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree. It would be so useful to be able to compile a page of references for the end of a paper using diigo. I have used EndNote but I found it very $$$

• Jason FinleyJason Finley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Next year I won't be accepting bibliographies from my students. I will be requiring them to complete annotated research in Diigo. This would be a great addition.

• Jean-Monazi ChangJean-Monazi Chang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, yes, yes. Please add this feature. It would put an end to my Hamlet-like, existential anguish of having to choose between Diigo and Zotero.

• wugaman11wugaman11 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only feature that Zotero has the advantage over Diigo. If Diigo were to automatically assemble a bibliography based on your bookmarked sites, then Zotero wouldn't be able to compete.

• adbonneradbonner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and also integration with the word processing programs related to their apps/extensions. like diigo for chrome easily adding a citation list to google docs

• RedbosRedbos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and to expand on that, the sort of metadata we'd be looking for are things like Author, Journal, Dates, Publisher, Titel, Conference, etc etc.

• RedbosRedbos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and dont forget Zotero! Acting very similarly to Diigo, Zotero allows the user to add citations to an online database similar to the bookmarking feature in Diigo. It would be great if it was possible to collect specific meta-data that could be used for making bibliographies and updating such citations.

Then, the obvious next step would be integrating with Word, Latex, etc to automatically insert citations within a paper and auto-create the bibliography.

I know Zotero can pull in all sorts of meta-data from various databases, but their product is pretty wonky as it is a mix between desktop based and cloud based. If Diigo could jump in on this market and allow for users to import their Endnote/Zoter/Mendeley citations, you all would be in business!

• Nathan HitzNathan Hitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better yet... just work toward compatibility between Diigo and Zotero, the premier bibliographic tool for both offline and online research.

Feedback and Knowledge Base