I suggest you ...

Better Read-Later for Chrome

Add a way to add and read pages with a single click and/or a bookmarklet. A keyboard shortcut would be useful, too.
Also, please add an option to open the pages in a new tab by default.

305 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
tammeschichlertammeschichler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo responded  · 

A newly improved Diigo Chrome Ext is now available for alpha tryout http://bit.ly/Us0RoO
In add’n to bookmark&annotation, it now has screenshot capturing & easier to add link to “read later”.

25 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • cbudakcbudak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This software needs the capability to edit the offline reading list bookmark in order to change the saved pages name field. Currently, every web capture bookmark I have from the same site has the same name. The name field needs to be available in editing mode but one cannot open it. "Offline Pages Pro" is an offline website browser with this feature. Right now, I don't know what can be edited in the offline reading list bookmark with an iPad. I have tried to edit but cannot.

• Wizard Of OzWizard Of Oz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, I noticed the full page is not downloaded. So, you dont have things like images when you are offline.

• Predrag RisticPredrag Ristic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, please... one key aspect would be to annotate and highlight while reading offline, and kindle (instapaper-like) integration... if, in addition, you add a kindle integration that utilizes the kindle note taking feature, I am ready to upgrade to premium user

• tatilunatatiluna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Woah, really good point I just saw from Ryan Bush. If you could save everything offline, plus highlight/annotate offline, then it would sync when you get online again, Diigo would be ten times more awesome.

Woah, really good point I just saw from Ryan Bush. If you could save everything offline, plus highlight/annotate offline, then it would sync when you get online again, Diigo would be ten times more awesome.

It would be great if I could highlight and annotate text from the Read Later extension. Otherwise, besides being beautiful, this extension is not better than Instapaper, in fact it lacks some other features. But if Diigo/Read-Later were better integrated so that I could save a bunch of articles to read later _and_ highlight/annotate them when I'm reading them later, I would consider totally migrating over from Instapaper.

• Vijay KantavilVijay Kantavil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Phil Ashman: The bookmarks will be continuously updated at 10 of the most recent. Unfortunately you can't clear this folder because if you do, it deletes those items from the library as well.

Read my post, I have explained how it works http://v5point0.posterous.com/read-later-fast-v121

I know it is a bit complicated, I had to play around a bit initially to figure it out.

• Phil AshmanPhil Ashman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So once the bookmark is in the RLF archive folder, how do you clear out the contents of the archive folder without removing the bookmarks from diigo? I can't seem to find a way to do this. I think this is a fairly important option that needs to be available.

• Doogus DoogDoogus Doog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came to Diigo because I checked out the Read Later Fast extension for Chrome and saw some potential. Prior to this I was using both "Read it later" and "Instapaper," but both of these are lacking - especially in being able to take notes, highlight and archive with tags. It seems that Diigo might prove to be an answer to this, and I am still debating whether I want to go to basic/premium.

A few ideas for the Read Later functionality:

* Being able to highlight and take notes within the Read Later Fast views (text and original); I currently I can't seem to be able to do this unless I click "Open in a new tab"

* Furthermore, if I do click "Open in a new tab," it's a hassle to have to open the Diigo Web Highlighter Extension, and click Bookmark, then uncheck "Read Later" when I am done reading in order to archive the page. It would be really helpful if this process was not so cumbersome.

* Read It Later had a nice feature by which it saved where you were in the article (how far you've scrolled / read) and saved that once you were done reading. That way you can read really long articles (I'm talking several pages long) and it would indicate the percentage of the article that you've read, but still have it marked as unread. This was an awesome, if you could implement it here, I am sold.

* Back to the Read Later Extension, once I click "Archive" (I guess that marks it as "read"), it would be very helpful if I could also tag this item - so that later I can filter my read items with tags!

* In the Diigo Library, it would be nice to add "Mark as read" or "Mark as unread" as an option in the "More Actions..." drop down on the Library page. That way you can select multiple bookmarks and select "Mark as read" or "Mark as unread." I migrated a ton of unread bookmarks from RIL and I have to go through each one, edit, and click "Read Later" in order to save it to the "Read Later Fast" db

* Kindle transfer. Instapaper has this for free - exporting Unread items to Kindle. This would be a sweet Premium feature ;) especially if you can integrate with Kindle note taking capabilities and be able to archive from it!

* Also, customizable keyboard shortcuts for everything mentioned here and elsewhere are key! (no pun intended)

I hope you consider some of these, I really think that these features would have the potential of attracting a lot of people over from Instapaper and RIL...

• Sean BradySean Brady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok. The addition of sync seems to be working well. When I archive an item from Read Later Fast it is marked as Read in Diigo. If I delete it from Read Later Fast it deletes from Diigo. That is all as it should be. Now, if we can just get a tool, in RLF that will let me do all of the Diigo stuff we will be in great shape. I think at the least we need the option to change the current item from private to public and add tags. However, if there was a way to integrate all of the functionality of Diigo into RLF I think you would have an amazing reading list tool.

Almost there, waiting anxiously for the next update.

@sandy_diigo more features do not always equate to a more complex product. One of the advantages to a product like instapaper is that you can add junk to it with out worrying about quality, you simply discount the low quality articles and save the good ones. Diigo should consider that as they build out their read later functionality. Make it easy for me to keep unread items private (because I don't want to endorse junk), delete the ones that turn out to be junk, and tag/make public the ones I want to keep. I would consider these core functions for a diigo created and integrated product.

• Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@lajcik How about fast adding bookmark to the "Read Later" list
    via diigo chrome extension by keyboard shortcut?
    As I mentioned in my last post,Read Later Fast will support data
    synchronization between app and your diigo library. In this way,
    you can access all items in "read later" list whether in your diigo
    online library or "unread" folder in Read Later Fast.
    Along with that, they can also be accessed in diigo android,
    diigo iphone, diigo ipad apps in the near future.
    @Sean Brady
    We want ReadLaterFast to be a simple elegant app that does a
    few things perfectly and offer simple solutions to universal problems.
    We are especially careful when take adding new features into consideration.Only selective additional features should be integrated
    in this app without the risk of confusing users.We are waiting for
    inputs from more users to evaluate the possibility to add tags.

• lajciklajcik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll second what Sean and golimpio said. Also "Read Later Fast" doesn't really cut it since it's not synced anywhere. My personal use case for 'read later' is:
    1) i find an interesting article at work and don't have time to read it at the time
    2) I press a button on my browser - the url is bookmarked at diigo (currently using readitlaterlist.com and postponer addon for this since the diigo extension requires 4 clicks vs 1 for RIL!)
    3) I come back home, fire up my "read later list" and browse stuff while drinking cocoa

To sum it up - IMHO the diigo extension needs some sort of "fast add" to the "Read Later" list and an easy way to access that list.

Golimpio brings up a good point. I like the idea of Read Later Fast, and I like the idea of it syncing to the cloud (either with Diigo or Read It Later/Instapaper), however, the app really needs a nice UI that allows me to save into Diigo the articles I really like with tags. I dont want to do that to begin with, but once I read it and decide I want to keep it the process needs to be smooth.

With the help of Read Later Fast,you can save any webpages for offline
    reading by simply right-click. It also supports right clicking on a link without opening it.Besides,customizable keyboard short-cut is also available.
    Along with that,more nice features will come soon.I shed some light.
    It will support data synchronization between app and your diigo library.
    Please stay tuned.

• golimpiogolimpio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And if I want to read it later, but I don't want to add it as a bookmark?
    That's what I usually do, if I'm not sure if I want to add a bookmark (e.g. don't have time for add tags or just not sure) I add the link to ReadItLater and after I decided if I'll bookmark it or not. It'd be nice to separate it.

We just released a Chrome app,namely,"READ LATER FAST".
    Please check them out: http://bit.ly/gpw4Jx
    It is a single function app focuses on offering super easy and fast
    way to save pages for read later,online/offline.It also Improves
    browsing by avoiding too many tabs and the technology we
    developed will be adapted to diigo later.
    It is an early beta version and more iterations are to come.
    BTW,as for offline and later reading on Android,how about trying
    Read on phone?
    It is a Chrome / Android app issued by diigo.
    It is a fantastic tool makes reading on the web more enjoyable by
    removing the clutter round the article content and applies legible and
    beautiful styles.

The read later strategy from Diigo really needs to extend far beyond just Chrome. Anytime I am on a device, and find a URL that I cannot read right now, I should be able to add it to my read later list. If I am on my Android phone, using Google Reader give me a send/share option to add to my list. If I am out and about and see a web link on a poster I want to look at later let me manually add a link. Loads of options in Chrome, and I personally would not mind 2 clicks, one to open the existing extension and another to click read later. However, a (configurable) keystroke would be awesome as well.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base