I suggest you ...

use own server with unlimited images / caching

So, we could keep our data extensive and safe, whle saving Diigo`s resources.

Diigo would still have their ads, and users could have alternatives to paid model, which isn`t for everyone.

220 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Justinas DūdėnasJustinas Dūdėnas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Falst enFalst en commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

maybe it's just that we don't use the image upload feature but images are viewable in library when you (accidentally) save it with a text highlight. happens a lot of the time by default here.

it annoys this user alot of the time but maybe someone out there would find the fact useful? =)

• Geoffrey MilosGeoffrey Milos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The recent Snowdon revelations make it clear that your data is never really private once it enters the cloud. The best a person can do is to keep control of their own data by keeping it on their own server. Continued publicity of the "surveillance state" ensures that strong privacy features will attract more and more news users.

An "own storage" capability is imperative for users who are concerned about their privacy.

From the Diigo business perspective, the risk that users will use the feature to avoid Diigo fees is minimal because of the associated technical hurdles and cost. Moreover, users cannot easily duplicate the reliability and convenience of Diigo's cloud storage. Most users are poor at managing their own data, and in particular, most users NEVER back-up their own data. This means that many initial users of a self-storage feature will eventually suffer self-inflicted data loss.

This could be a win-win for Diigo. New users will be attracted by the privacy advantages of self-storage. Many of those new users, will revert to, or stick with, Diigo's cloud storage rather than deal with the difficult data management issues.

Do it!

• Prince BoatengPrince Boateng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would subscripe if I had to pay to use my own servers. I want to keep my data and also have the option to keep my data on diigo.
    or even more powerful, is to be able to customise which data is kept (eg public items are stored on diigo server and private is stored on user server) on diigo or the server

• Fuzbolero .Fuzbolero . commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be interesting and useful, but not just as an option for some people to avoid payment. I think that extending Diigo to support own hosting also bears a great potential for business-like paid services too. I for one would certainly be willing to be a paid subscriber for significantly higher monthly/yearly fee than the current premium service if own server options were available.

• Rico RoblesRico Robles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the use of diigos own unlimited images maybe of conducive and helpful for someone who is making images of diigo.

Feedback and Knowledge Base