I suggest you ...

Semantic, User-Defined Relationships Among Tagged Items (i.e. Linked Data)

All tagged items could be linked together through semantic relationships such as: "evidence for", "argument against", "relies on", etc. This could potentially culminate in a concept map mode—displaying the web of connections around particular tagged items.

359 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Matt McAlisterMatt McAlister shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • me8 88me8 88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see you think those suggestions here are hard to execute.
    I rather think they are essential for a smart service. I think the more you avoid these, and keep adding hierarchy features to the service, the more you work to make it impossible to ever make that transformation. why do you think this is hard? don't you have the professional manpower on board to go such ways?

• me8 88me8 88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suggesting a dumbing down of this idea first:

Allow building and tearing apart links between items. Semantics can be up to the user, not even actively managed by the site at first stage. Or semantics can be managed by the site as suggested...

• kathleen johnsonkathleen johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wow. I never thought of this but it would be a seriously sophisticated addition. This kinda reminds me of the Cmap tools.

• Christine LampeChristine Lampe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about using something like Glue API / Visual Thesaurus / Thinkmap SDK? visualcomplexity.com showcases 30 semantic web visualisations, including one using delicious tags (http://ivy.fr/revealicious ). Any good for a Diigo development?

• prof.dr. stupidprof.dr. stupid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about automated semantic tags? There is so many tag information in the database that it should be no problem to generate a network map of tags from which you would see relations. Is it such a problem to add new relations with a parameter?

• Stephan PauknerStephan Paukner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about reducing this idea to link relations, like a "See also"? It would be simpler for users. E.g. one could group an article that is split into separate web pages, or different articles about a specific topic.

Currently, I'm working around this by writing & pasting "Also see http://diigo.com/$HASH"; into the description manually.

• Predrag RisticPredrag Ristic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@sandy_diigo: it needn't be so complicated... how about enabling the notes feature to work as an interlink between the two nodes (tagged items that need to be semantically related). Like so:
    - a 'gmail star'-like functionality can enable us to turn-on a 'note's 'semantic argument' capability
    - title of note would become the semantic argument: ex. "evidence for"
    - body of note can keep the links of the pointed items, along with their diigo metadata (need not be visually perfect, plain-text is fine)
    - pointing mechanism, when 'star' activated' would be the only heavy-coding spot on the GUI side (have guerrilla ideas, but I would rather draw them real-time, if you're interested, than explicate in text)
    - after saving such enhanced 'note', it shows up normally in our diigo views; with an added 'semantic connection' see more link, similar to 'show content' or ''+1 annotation" in any results view... better yet, semantic connections could be highlighted by making them similar to the tags' bluish box, only in yellow note color.

I understand that i might be oversimplifying the semantic relationships idea, but for now... with our current technical limitations... I am satisfied with the relationships working as a mental 'note to self' that some external entity (diigo) would classify, and show to me whenever needed

• Kevin BeckfordKevin Beckford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love this. This concept and Distributed DNS are my two favorites that I've heard this year. How to get started?

• Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea sounds so nice and creative. However it is so hard to achieve due to the limitation of feasible technology.
    Do you have more simple idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base