I suggest you ...

DESKTOP SYNC a la Evernote

- Our information is OURS not on your servers
- Content is indexed and searchable from Mac Spotlight or Windows Search.
- Annotations are available offline

1,125 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Chris RChris R shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chris RChris R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

McSherry says the Megaupload case also illustrates another area where people's stuff in the cloud faces a unique risk. You may not realize it, but many companies — from Facebook to Amazon — store your stuff outside the U.S. Some of Megaupload's servers were in Holland. When Megaupload couldn't pay its bills anymore the Dutch company destroyed all its files.

"Your stuff might be stored anywhere in the world," McSherry says. "And as a person located in one jurisdiction ... I've got things to do all day long. I can't really spend my time trying to figure out the rules and regulations of everywhere that might be storing my stuff." http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/04/25/306837205/you-love-the-cloud-but-it-may-not-be-as-secure-as-you-think

• Nicolas ChavezNicolas Chavez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello dears, right now is too soon, but as son as I find a good idea, for sure I will let you know about it.

Best regards,

Nicolas Chavez

• James DiGioiaJames DiGioia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How has this not been done yet? If I could plug those two together, they would solve the problem of highlighting and annotating for me completely.

For some reason, this suggestion disappeared for awhile and was missing from the list. It finally did reappear, but it's absence from the list caused it to fall back to #4 when it was always solidly #2 or #3. I hope it's not being penalized. It's a great idea for Diigo to let users have more control over their data. I love Diigo, and hope that the excellent innovations they made in web annotation (I don't know about all that other stuff) will continue and thrive.

• inouitinouit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also premium user, and feel also trapped. When Diigo got the problem with their domain name we understood that it was really dangerous to stay in their system without the capacity to export/save our captures/bookmarks. So we won't renew ou premium account.

• Autumn CorvusAutumn Corvus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Evernote gives you full control of all your notes, annotations, content, everything. I'm a happy Premium subscriber there, the only thing I regret is that a good year and a half of my Diigo annotations is trapped here still. Diigo, you lost a customer that would have gladly paid for your service if you'd only allow people control over the content we produce.

• navin keswaninavin keswani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yep.., so basically if there is a service that offers me a offline backup of my annotations, cached pages (that is also searchable .. a la evernote) I will seriously think of moving on. My data in my control is more important than loyalty. Diigo' Devs pls. listen.

• Geoffrey MilosGeoffrey Milos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I understand correctly, the suggestion is to make it possible for users to export their own data from DIIGO -- correct?

I have not familiarized myself with the API, so maybe someone knowledgeable could comment: Does the API expose the features necessary to create a [user's] backup application?

With so many votes and no action or supplier comment, Occam's Razor suggests that this idea is opposed internally at Diigo. If true, then we've seen this story before: service provider attempts to hold customer data hostage. The result of this old-school strategy is always the same. Trust suffers. Customers begin looking for an exit plan. Hostage-taking works for a while, until the eventual crisis gets users, individually or collectively, over the emigration inertia. At that point, the provider tries to invoke "customer loyalty" as a retention strategy, only to discover that they burned off that loyalty long ago by taking hostages.

On the upside, Diigo is sending an unambiguous signal that customers can act on.

• Ciii EllCiii Ell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to save notes in simple TXT files would greatly enhance Diigo Notes features for every nomad user.

• Eric G. YoungEric G. Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Diigo were to do this, it would be resolve and ongoing dilemma that I have as a power Evernote user as well. I think Diigo and Evernote would work quite well together.

Couple ways to get your notes on your computer (other than copy paste), readable by spotlight: but only public items. You can subscribe to your public feed via feedburner, then subscribe via email. This can be sent to your mail (which can then be left in a folder or turned into a daily machine readable pdf, built into the mac) or you could subscribe via Evernote email. I'm having trouble getting content of notes in Evernote to index though and am wondering if this functionality has been restricted to titles and tags. If so, it's too much work. The problem with this method is that 1. It's only for ongoing notes and many of us have thousands already. 2. It's only public items 3. The notes are not discreet.

• yyyolkyyyolk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love that I don't have to worry about my content stored in diigo, but a desktop client is not the answer - why not have fine grain export control (Something that no bookmark service has)

• Ian SpencerIan Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am now using evernote more and mostly stopped using Diigo. Reasons
    1. Notes Features Better.
    2. Sync with multiple computers and my Android phone notes always remain mine.
    3. It is just easier to use on a mobile phone.
    4. Can store and search documents
    5. Easy sharing of documents and notes.

Diigo certainly has more features but is just not as user friendly.

I miss a lot of features in Diigo but having to search multiple places for what you store means I now only have to search evernote. I tried using both at the same time but too difficult.

Diigo and Evernote are both good but it seems for practical reasons you need to choose the most productive one for you and stick to it.

• Autumn CorvusAutumn Corvus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Diigo is a great service, I don't see why Diigo's producers don't trust their product enough to allow people to backup their data, trusting that the quality of their service, not vendor lock-in, will keep people using it.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base