I suggest you ...

Make groups work better (mix of bookmarks and topics)

Right now, groups that have lots of members seem to be just big bookmark repositories. There doesn't seem to be much discussion going on. Which isn't building communities.

The Topics seem to get drowned out by the flow of bookmarks, meaning there's never any replies. Also, while you can open annotations inline, you can't expand topics inline to browse them quickly.

Maybe the current structure works well for smaller groups? If so maybe there needs to be two structures based on size.

I'd recommend separating out bookmarks and topics - for example to each side of the page.

There seems to be no easy way to insert bookmarks into topics or tags (surely something people would want to do often?). You could add and Insert Bookmark from Library button to all comments boxes, which could then allow you to search by tag/full text, bring up a list of bookmark titles, and then clicking one would insert it into the comment as a link).

You could also show which users are online (functionality I guess you have as the sidebar does a similar thing)

Finally, there seems to be no easy way on the diigo site to track activity and particularly comments and replies to group posts. If someone replies to one of my comments, the only way i find out is by email alert.

Surely the My Groups or My Network (confusing difference for me) should include a summary of posts, replies and activity connected to me?

Surely the diigo toolbar should alert me when people comment on my bookmarks/topics.
(Right now it just alerts me to "new messages" which i never use).

The ability to post REQUESTS would be good too. So if i'm looking for an answer, some information or a useful bookmark then I can mark it as a request, and get the diigo hive mind to help me. Then I could choose an answer to mark it closed. (little like yahoo answers).

You could even give points for likes, comments, posts and answering questions, and give everyone a rating.

36 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Soul BookSoul Book shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@soulgrind r Thanks for taking your time to post a variety of suggestions
    about group. We appreciate it very much.
    >>>> Also, while you can open annotations inline, you can't expand topics inline to browse them quickly.
    When view topics or bookmarks in compact view model, you can scroll down
    quickly.
    I think open the topic in a new tab would be much better.For instance, there
    are dozens of follow-ups.
    >>> separating out bookmarks and topics
    Currently topics can be filtered out separately.
    >>>You could also show which users are online (functionality I guess you have as the sidebar does a similar thing)
    Can you please tell us some scenarios why you need this feature? There are
    already so many IM. Why do you want to diigo roll out this feature instead of using one of them.
    >>>Finally, there seems to be no easy way on the diigo site to track activity and particularly comments and replies to group posts. If someone replies to one of my comments, the only way i find out is by email alert.

Sure. the track system needs to be improved upon. Messages will be sent
    when posts are replied and followed.

>>>>Surely the My Groups or My Network (confusing difference for me) should include a summary of posts, replies and activity connected to me?

Network feature is about people you follow. All the new posts of them show up in your network webpage.You can use the feature to manage people you follow into different lists and filter out bookmarks by people.

Groups are designed for people who have the same interest or have the need to cooperate with each other. You can share your bookmarks or post topics in
    your group.

>>>>The ability to post REQUESTS would be good too. So if i'm looking for an answer, some information or a useful bookmark then I can mark it as a request, and get the diigo hive mind to help me. Then I could choose an answer to mark it closed. (little like yahoo answers).
    You could even give points for likes, comments, posts and answering questions, and give everyone a rating.

How about tag the topic REQUESTS and others can show their rating by "like".
    It may goes a bit far from the definition of diigo. We define diigo as a powerful tool to collect,share and manage information. However, we are thinking of developing groups as another product of the series of diigo products. The feature sounds nice to be added into the our new plan.In essence, we will take it into full consideration.

Feedback and Knowledge Base