I suggest you ...

Improve the API and documentation

Having a decent powerful API allows other people to make extensions and code for your site, integrate it into their sites and applications, and generally make your service better for free.

But I found that most of the cool ideas I had couldn't be implemented using the current API. I might have been going about things wrong, but authentication, search and ping limits seemed to make anything other than grabbing basic data very hard.

Some form of authentication key would be very useful.
Changing ping limits from 1 every few seconds to something more flexible like 20 per minute or 100 per five minutes would allow more creative mixing and matching of data.

I forget the specific problem i had, but being able to do more complex search queries would be useful. (logical operators, wild cards, etc..)

And some more documentation and example code would be very very helpful.

563 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Soul BookSoul Book shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • magic 123456magic 123456 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not long ago,I was still in trouble with understanding a SOAP about API usage which is such a long PDF file.In the process of solving the problem,I have fortunately cleared the concept and operation of the API.It is effective indeed.

• Evan HarmonEvan Harmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A great API is absolutely critical. The idea is to be able to actually do things with your info and share them. E.g. the app - delibar on OSX - takes social bookmarking to a whole other level. I'd love to have access to my Diigo bookmarks right on my desktop and iphone with this app...

• Michel H.Michel H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is clearly a neet to better integrate Diigo into more third party services. Diigo seems to have fallen behind in that regard. I suspect that the APi is to blame. It certainly is a Diigo strategic decision. This is becoming more of an issue as we use services like Zite, Flipboard, read it later to discover and consume content.

• ket bhavket bhav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is really necessary.
    Diggo is really good I really learning how to use it. It's a little typical to understand first but really like it.
    But a simple flash or something needs to use it. It's tool bar for firefox is also good.

• Mr MaherMr Maher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would this work on the outbound side as well? I would like to display my lists in some other design. The optimum arrangement would be full screen, no sidebars, small font descriptions and bullets next to the bookmarks. Perhaps collapsible section headers?

The list display seems unwieldy for anything beyond a few bookmarks a lists of 20 or more with section headers makes for too much scrolling. If other developers can make tools to mine that data and display it better, that would be great.

• Vincent MimirVincent Mimir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should talk more about the advance of your doc/API via blog or on another media (wiki like ? google engine groups ?) to make the API according to the use of devs

• Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have taken actions to get this project started. The first round of this project is aimed at offering better api to import data from somewhere else to diigo. Ping limits is more flexible.We are waiting for inputs from more developers to decide the road map for next round.

• johny whyjohny why commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

your api page says "Tags Coming soon ..."

what's coming soon? Tag functions? Or Tag documentation?

it's unclear.

• Max KaehnMax Kaehn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to see the equivalent of the delicious.com JSON feeds: no requirement for authentication when you just want to pull in public data to inline into a custom web page, and a variant that either assigns the JSON to a variable or passes it to a function so developers don't need to worry about cross-origin resource sharing.

• Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sure. That has been added into our to-do list.
    However,too many are on our to-do list already.
    With limited bandwidth, we must spend our time on areas that deliver the most impact. So it takes sometime for us to get the project started.

Feedback and Knowledge Base