I suggest you ...

Search with Google instead of Diigo+Google (Google Custom Search)

I'm a very heavy user of the now mostly abandoned feature to search for the highlighted text via the Diigo context menu. I understand there were technical issues with the previous version, but can you please bring back the option to just search with regular Google, rather than the Diigo+Google combination you use now? I have other Firefox extensions that enhance my Google search results page but none of them work with the custom search page. Of course, a return of the previous functionality would be even better, but I'd be happy just with Google. It's a feature I'd be willing to pay for.

76 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Drew LoikaDrew Loika shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • No SauceNo Sauce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also, unlike what the OP suggested, this should not be a paid service. Other, third party extensions that allow this are causing users to switch their highlight text auto pop-up option to non-diigo options. You (diigo) wants users to keep/stay with diigo's pop-up which includes the highlight option. more user highlights = more bookmarks = more user generated content = $$$ for diigo developers

• No SauceNo Sauce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better yet, allow us the choice via customization.

Ideally, instead of having one button (big search magnifier icon), I'd have the button divided into 4 smaller customizable buttons with representative logos (e.g. top left = search Diigo + bing, top right = search Diigo + Wikipedia, bottom left = search google, bottom right = search Al Jazeera English).

Imagine the different highlighter colors that pop-up except they're different search options. BUT DO NOT MAKE IT A SECOND, on-mouse-over pop-up, or at least give us the option to make it the icon on the first pop-up.

The user should be able to add our own search options by adding URL with %s much like in Chrome's manage search options.

• amir talamir tal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just remove diigo toolbar and use either shareaholic or addthis extension to provide "add to diigo" functionality.

shame that 3rd party gives better support then original.

• J MontgomeryJ Montgomery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sandy_diigo

Where is the diigo icon that you are talking about? I want to remove Diigo+Google

• jensen-liujensen-liu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have encounter this problem also.
    Anyone (or even Diigo developer) has ideas how to disable/remove the "Diigo+Google" search features? I found no way (even under diigo extention option) to disable this feature.

Thanks.

• Soul BookSoul Book commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried out webmynd. It's a nice idea, but I'm not sure about the implementation.
    I'd actually knocked together a basic greasemonkey script that did almost the same thing (wikipedia, youtube, images, diigo) but i never got it into good shape and then ran out of time/energy.

Unless it has access to MY diigo bookmarks it isn't exactly what i want. Though it does already have the option for public diigo bookmarks.

But, essentially it's similar to what i want diigo to do. (though more simple. )

• Chris RChris R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have asked Webmynd to integrate your service, and this has begun. They are working with folks like Forbes on their content. It might be helpful to try and reach out and coordinate with them. They have a more elegant solution that is well developed.

An option to have search results open in a new tab would be great too. That's the other reason I stopped using it.

Yes! (lots of votes).

The diigo+google layout has improved, so it's much better than before. But the core problem is IT ISN'T GOOGLE.

Google is integrated into lots of places. I can search it from the awesomebar, i can search it from new tab (using tabking extension), and I use several extensions that modify the results (stumbleupon, web of trust).

These extensions all integrate into google. But if i use diigo+google then none of this works. So I never use it. I understand that you get some ad impressions off diigo+google, but please make the extension integrate the diigo results into the standard google results (wherever they come from).
    It would be SO much more useful.

Also, I often switch between google uk and google japan (and occasionally .com), and that's another functionality i don't get with diigo+google).

I even went so far as to try and make my own greasemonkey script - but i couldn't get around API restrictions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base