I suggest you ...

Organise your bookmark list like yours os, in differents folders

The idea is that you could organise your selection of bookmarks, like you can in a selected folder and sub-folder of your operating system. EX List (music) in différents folders (classic, rock, ...)

2,022 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phronima AxxonPhronima Axxon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
jody perkinsjody perkins shared a merged idea: Please create a gui interface for organizing bookmarks into folders!!  ·   · 
Berylaube 00Berylaube 00 shared a merged idea: Could you make it possible to organise the bookmark list as on a computer in different folders?  ·   · 
started  ·  Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo responded  · 

Thanks for all inputs.We are spearing no efforts to make Diigo 6.0 available soon. We are working on a brand-new way to organize items. You can use hierarchy system in a new way. it is also super easy to re-order items’ structure. Please stay tuned.

247 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • jsp48080jsp48080 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Diigo looks like its got a lot of cool features, but I came here looking for bookmarking and this is too foreign to me without folders so I likely won't even try the other features. Please make this an option Diigo.

• h mh m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also going to have to ditch diigo due to now being able to have folders. Lists are good too, but im too used to having folders, and folders within folders that i can name as i choose. Do not like the default naming of groups here on diigo

• Eric KrompsEric Kromps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a new user of Diigo and am amazed that there is no method for hierarchical folders for organizing bookmarks. I've read many posts back to the beginning of this forum thread and understand the argument. I hope the developers realize in the "voting" for this feature that there are many users not voting because, like me, they see no folders and simply stop using Diigo. So rather than signing up myself and others within my company, i am going to continuing searching for a similar tool that supports folders.

• Xiaoyu TangXiaoyu Tang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh I found the first post was about 1 year ago! I guess the reason why Diigo doesnot do this is, it 'll decrease our motivation for tagging links. And Diigo wants us to find links by filtering them by tags. Am I right?

• Xiaoyu TangXiaoyu Tang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Just now I was about to say this!
    I used to utilized the "favorites" or "bookmarks" features of some browsers which have online or offline storage services. They have a basic sub-folder-like function which make it easier to organize. I think they have similar structures in Ontology in CS. Delicious's organising method in their browser plugins is a tag-based one, the problem of them is there're duplicates in different subfolders. Personally I think it's not easy to organize. I think in Diigo you have a section feature which is a good start. But it seems there's no such feature in browser sidebars!

• David GbroDavid Gbro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Diigo, like most, is based on tag searching. I agree that folder searching and organising would be useful. Yahoo bookmarks used to be great for this. You could switch back and forward between tag views and folder views. Yahoo was the best for years but now they've ruined it and made it useless. Diigo should take advantage here.

• riccardorbriccardorb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should not be a suggestion, this should have been the fundamental reason to even set up any online bookmarking service. What other priority than being able to (subcategorize your bookmarks?
    I wonder why apparently ALL seem to refuse to do it.

• soccersoup2001soccersoup2001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very nice. Also under the Read Later list as well. Ie, different subjects to read, depending on what mood you are in, etc...

• Daniel ClemDaniel Clem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this not implemented yet???? I voted on this many many months ago and still nothing!!! This the the whole reason I stopped using Diigo. That and I don't think its open source.

• Shervon ZShervon Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tagging and using folders to organize are similar ways of organizing, but folders are in a tree format, and have only one hierarchy; so:
    1) More folders could be created and better organized than the current "Lists".
    2) Folders will become the main way of categorizing bookmarks, tags become 2nd [3rd, and 4th] way.
    3) Folders could be used for browsing (not only searching) for information. They are more visual. It is easier to keep track of what folders have already been browsed, and what is left (when looking for a file by browsing).
    4) Folder and tree structure help in easily remembering from memory the location of each bookmark.
    5)tags are more like public/common ways of categorizing bookmarks (good for sharing/ search engine indexing). Folders could be good for personal categorizing of bookmarks. For example a path like /work/prgrams/project1 is a necessary way of categorizing that can be achieved only with folders; using tags here will be useless and meaningless (work, prgrams, and project1 only have meaning to the owner).

Feedback and Knowledge Base