I suggest you ...

Organise your bookmark list like yours os, in differents folders

The idea is that you could organise your selection of bookmarks, like you can in a selected folder and sub-folder of your operating system. EX List (music) in différents folders (classic, rock, ...)

2,030 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phronima AxxonPhronima Axxon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
jody perkinsjody perkins shared a merged idea: Please create a gui interface for organizing bookmarks into folders!!  ·   · 
Berylaube 00Berylaube 00 shared a merged idea: Could you make it possible to organise the bookmark list as on a computer in different folders?  ·   · 
started  ·  Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo responded  · 

Thanks for all inputs.We are spearing no efforts to make Diigo 6.0 available soon. We are working on a brand-new way to organize items. You can use hierarchy system in a new way. it is also super easy to re-order items’ structure. Please stay tuned.

248 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jonathan CJonathan C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea has been here since 2010. I originally started out looking for a service that provides this organizational feature, but since they apparently have no plans to implement it (it's been a year and a half), what is the point in adding new comments?

• Matt JansMatt Jans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good point Jodi. I use their lists like folders, but haven't figures out the best way to use tags. Tags are nice b/c things can have multiple tags but can only be in one folder (if implemented like an OS anyway). Makes it hard to develop a network.

And of course there's personal preference...this idea gets a lot of votes so people arent liking something. I wonder if it's the usability of the tags and lists as much as the structure. I do find myself getting visually lost in Diigo sometimes.

• jody perkinsjody perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could provide a way to organize things visually without the bother of tagging each and every link!!

• Matt JansMatt Jans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would I want folders when I could have visual groups (like Diigo's stacks) or more net-like visual groupings like Pearltrees?

• Adam SteinbergAdam Steinberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This addendum to this post may duplicate some ideas from some below but I don't have time to read 145 comments! :-)

This thread's root is a GREAT idea, and I'd like to add the following variation which I will call Floating Diigo. The big diff of this idea from the above is that it allows Diigo to be present in a floating window to the side of the browser.

My issue is that I often have a project going and I open 20-40 tabs with various related information. Every time I launch the browser, I have to wait while all 40 load. And I am always worried I will close one and lose it. And they are hard to keep track of.

But I also hate to deal with using an online service to organize the bookmarks; I want links that are available in a floating window next to my browser at any moment, and that I can click to open items without going away from the list (i.e., to the link I clicked, as when using Diigo in the browser). I want to be able to organize these in various ways so I can easily open one or all links in one project. Thus: Floating Diigo...

1. You are able to organize your bookmarks in a hierarchy of folders by topic, subtopic, etc., as suggested.
    2. You can bookmark a link by dragging the URL icon of the site into a FLOATING WINDOW that works with any browser.
    3. Just like Diigo, when you bookmark you can change the name of the link and add a note, however:
    4. When you hover over a link in this floating window, you see the note as well as a thumbnail image of the page.
    5. You can organize links in this window by dragging them up and down in the hierarchy.
    6. Maybe you can choose alternate ways to organize them, such as in a spider diagram or a three-dimensional cloud. Whoa.
    7. You can choose to open any link by clicking on it, and you can open any group by clicking on the header; then a window opens with all links in tabs. This you can open one project's tabs all at once and get to work.
    8. Of course, you can edit the names, the notes, and the link addresses.
    9. Of course you can search this list, and of course organize it by various parameters like alphabetically.

Please someone email and tell me if this already exists or of there is a way to do something like this already with Diigo! Thanks. adamdiigo AT THE DOMAIN lyricist DOT net. No other messages or SPAM, please.

• Serge CourrierSerge Courrier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deeply needed indeed ! Mixing hierarchies and tags (like Spurl did) would be great ! Drag and drop of a bookmark in a sub-sub-sub-sub... folder would automatically add precisely all these tags without missing one.

• me8 88me8 88 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to note regarding Fuzbolero's comment, that I don't think CMS is needed for managing tag topologies (actually I am yet to see a CMS that does that well without tons of clutter functionality weaved through it). I think it could be a natural evolution for diigo. Of course, it would take more CPU cycles and am not sure how well does the data model in its current setting lend itself to that. Perhaps a topology database like neo4j could help but I would not know as I'm not familiar with the Diigo internal architecture. I second his/her approach. Sorry for re-posting on the same topic.

• Fuzbolero .Fuzbolero . commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The familiar and easy-to-use concept of folders and hierarchies has worked well in many solutions, and still have its advantages. But the 21st century solutions need to be more flexible and the challenge is how to make such increased flexibility intuitive. IMHO, we need leaves to be represented in more than one branch, more than one context, etc., so some kind of virtual handling of this would be interesting. Ideally, advanced users should find the flexibility they need if they dig further into the settings. One example from my own wish list: Group tags so they can both be used for tag clouds, but also for custom hierarchies within the group. Then, when adding new bookmarks, we could be presented with a 3-level hierarchy that some tags may belong to, and when selecting a sub-branch, its "parent tag" will also automatically be associated with that bookmark.

However, this borders on what I always thought need to be an "integrated" CMS solution for managing content, which implies either a new approach to the whole system, or potential integration with existing Content Management solutions, which would be a very interesting separate discussion. Maybe some API-wizardry and plugin module arrangement could pave the way to new, exiting integration possibilities with advanced blogs and CMS sites such as those based on Drupal.org - which is a CMF, not only a CMS (F=Framework, where one can develop further CMSes)?
    That's a strategic decision, though, very different from a "feature request".

Anything would be better than 1.0 hierarchies alone...hierarchies clutter just as much.
    How about a topological view that can be both intelligently automated and controlled (e.g. into hierarchies) per the user's preferences? flexible tag-tagging could also be a nice derivative but not imperative.

I think it would be much better, and can go along with tag bundles which were suggested below :)

That would be much more modern.....

• ahf;j iajf;jaahf;j iajf;ja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes! this NEEDS to happen. The only reason i'm not on as much as i could be is because of the fact that it is nearly impossible for me to find what i saved. I'm not gonna go through my entire list of bookmarks, i want to be able to have more control of my bookmarks. Let me choose the name of the folders, how many folders, what sites i want to put into the folders, and if i want to additionally tag the sites.

• Shane HartmanShane Hartman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be an added function, is your concerned about tagging make it a requirement of it. I work on several research projects at once and use folders to organize those lists. I wanted to use an online bookmarker so I could access from anywhere.

• Terry TrippanyTerry Trippany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hierarchical lists makes sense. Tagging is fine but that tends to lead to clutter. The tags work best for searching and setting up cross references that span multiple categories. We need a way to organize lists and create taxonomies.

Folders are so 1.0..... I don't think this is a good idea. Be more creative.
    IMHO.

• Evan HarmonEvan Harmon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the best way to do this would be to implement tag bundles and then allow people to present them as virtual folders where you could make them have manual and/or smart properties (assign the folders to be populated automatically via the assignment of tags or manually via specific bookmarks). You should also be able to assign the folders/tag bundles a description so you can keep track of how you've setup each folder. And the folder/tag bundles should be able to be nested and include lists as well.

• Shervon ZShervon Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are other threads with the same purpose:
    To have a tag bundle option
    hierarchy tags
    You can vote on "To have a tag bundle option" too, since it is under review.
    Having tags as virtual folders is nice, too. It is just that if I tag-bundle something as 'school', it probably has nothing to do with the subject of school, I'm probably just relating it to my-school.

• Shervon ZShervon Z commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Considering how important this feature seems to be, I would have thought it would be implemented by now. I have installed diigo toolbar, but I am not adding much to my library because I know I have to change all of them again soon.
    Well, I think maybe the structure of how the files are stored in diigo does not let them implement this easily. As for me though, I would equally happy with a solution like this:
    Get rid of Lists, replace it with a tree [all bookmarks from old Lists imported level1 of new tree]. Diigo can keep the same structure as before. Just make sure backup and export/import support the new tree. Then maybe also provide a version of export to include the folders.
    I mean you don't even have to change any existing structure or code from the start. I didn't think it would take this long.

• Joel EstradaJoel Estrada commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please delete my account; Diigo is not what I have in mind. I will try something else instead. Thank you

Feedback and Knowledge Base