I suggest you ...

Organise your bookmark list like yours os, in differents folders

The idea is that you could organise your selection of bookmarks, like you can in a selected folder and sub-folder of your operating system. EX List (music) in différents folders (classic, rock, ...)

1,945 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phronima AxxonPhronima Axxon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
jody perkinsjody perkins shared a merged idea: Please create a gui interface for organizing bookmarks into folders!!  ·   · 
Berylaube 00Berylaube 00 shared a merged idea: Could you make it possible to organise the bookmark list as on a computer in different folders?  ·   · 
started  ·  Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo responded  · 

Thanks for all inputs.We are spearing no efforts to make Diigo 6.0 available soon. We are working on a brand-new way to organize items. You can use hierarchy system in a new way. it is also super easy to re-order items’ structure. Please stay tuned.

244 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ben KardoBen Kardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Folders for bookmarks is what I am missing also. This keeps me from using it more often.
    2) In addition, it would be great to have a drag-and-drop feature to move bookmarks from one folder to another; at least it should be easy to do so.

Otherwise great!

• Ciii EllCiii Ell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great ideas here in this thread, that is well worth keeping under watch!

I'm with @me8 88 and @Fuzbolero: another 1.0 hierarchies alone tool isn't needed. We need semantic, flexible, and light mindmap capabilities to go fast and easily integrates with our ways to organize information.

@Adam Steinberg thank you for posting! Isn't https://droplr.com/ close to that reorganizable drag and drop web2.0 Ideas management tool you're describing? If this is the case, then HTML5 definitively provides the canvas ;) for it. Also, have you heard of Workflowy, Simplenote or Any.DO? not yet what you described but allowing some of it.

C'mon, Diigo Power Note already helps and sync between our various devices. Let's take it to the next level: Diigo easy to use Drag&Drop List and Note, best tool around allowing us to organize things visually without the bother of tagging each and every link!! (quoting jody perkins)

@Alessandro Di Ruscio c I like the Krumbl video, it's fun! BTW also like the openness of Diigo forum :)

• Ravman1Ravman1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use a combination of Lists and Tags to classify all my bookmarks.

Until Diigo releases the new version with clickable folders (that drop down) as is the case with our everyday 'MS Windows Explorer', I have mimicked this function by simply creating folders that reflect a typical directory path label you would normally see in the address bar of 'MS windows Explorer'...I have seperated directory level by use of the '>' (greater than) symbol.

For example one of my past time is fishing so I have created the following list structure organising by fish species and fishing tackle related stuff...example:

Recreation > Fishing
    Recreation > Fishing > Bream
    Recreation > Fishing > Reels

etc etc

Diigo sorts lists alphabetically so I simply scroll down lists whilst in the 'library' screen to find the list I'm after. Unfortunately the list columns only display a certain amount of characters so I have to mouse over to see the full list name (and this takes a bit of guess work when using a smartphone-unlike using tags, by clicking on the tags screen allowing you to view more characters to see fuller tag name/description)

I use a very specific tagging structure so depending on the subject I may either start searching by lists or tags depending...in any case I have multiple entry paths allowing me to very quickly find the information I have saved for a rainy day...

So far so good, Hope this might give some of some helpful ideas...cheers and looking forward to Diigo's new release :-D

• Alessandro Di RuscioAlessandro Di Ruscio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Krumbr is a brand new bookmarks service that integrates tag bundles instead of folders.
    We think that folders are an old fashioned way to organize your bookmarks.
    If you wanna know something more about the project, take a look here: http://www.indiegogo.com/krumbr?a=575457
    and post question if you want to know more...

P.S. If you want, make a contribution. Your help is totally important to make it happen! :)

• meistr perchennogmeistr perchennog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i hope the new version will support the importing of a bookmark folder regime, too? When i joined, the importing of my current folder regimes from the different browsers i use was turned to vomit. All i wanted was there but who plays with their puke?

It's now the 16th. Is "later" like 'tomorrow', always an unattainable day ahead?

I too have been, am, will be waiting for this change before i start using Diigo.

Is it a Pratchett novel were everyone grows old and grey waiting? Some such thought just briefly broke the monotony of this wait.

• Eric KrompsEric Kromps commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sandy: Excellent! About when might we expect to see this enhancement? I have been waiting for this change before i start using Diigo.

• D TD T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Matt Jans: folders allow for multiple levels while we can have only one list. Both folders and tags make much sense. I personally find it easier to organize my data in folders while I expect for other people to be easier to browse my interests through a tag cloud.

• Jonathan CJonathan C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea has been here since 2010. I originally started out looking for a service that provides this organizational feature, but since they apparently have no plans to implement it (it's been a year and a half), what is the point in adding new comments?

• Matt JansMatt Jans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good point Jodi. I use their lists like folders, but haven't figures out the best way to use tags. Tags are nice b/c things can have multiple tags but can only be in one folder (if implemented like an OS anyway). Makes it hard to develop a network.

And of course there's personal preference...this idea gets a lot of votes so people arent liking something. I wonder if it's the usability of the tags and lists as much as the structure. I do find myself getting visually lost in Diigo sometimes.

• jody perkinsjody perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could provide a way to organize things visually without the bother of tagging each and every link!!

• Matt JansMatt Jans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would I want folders when I could have visual groups (like Diigo's stacks) or more net-like visual groupings like Pearltrees?

Feedback and Knowledge Base