I suggest you ...

Organise your bookmark list like yours os, in differents folders

The idea is that you could organise your selection of bookmarks, like you can in a selected folder and sub-folder of your operating system. EX List (music) in différents folders (classic, rock, ...)

1,961 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Phronima AxxonPhronima Axxon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
jody perkinsjody perkins shared a merged idea: Please create a gui interface for organizing bookmarks into folders!!  ·   · 
Berylaube 00Berylaube 00 shared a merged idea: Could you make it possible to organise the bookmark list as on a computer in different folders?  ·   · 
started  ·  Sandy_diigoSandy_diigo responded  · 

Thanks for all inputs.We are spearing no efforts to make Diigo 6.0 available soon. We are working on a brand-new way to organize items. You can use hierarchy system in a new way. it is also super easy to re-order items’ structure. Please stay tuned.

246 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sylvie Art-fashion-historySylvie Art-fashion-history commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

The first request on this topic was written on September 15, 2010. There were more than 1,500 votes for this request. Today is May 13, 2013 and we still do not have an answer for your "supposed" new version of Diigo.

You expect your users to lose confidence in you (it does not take long) and leave Diigo for others websites such as Bitly (bitly.com) that offers this kind of functionality that is required of you for so long.

Do you know at least that the software development is normally done by several deliveries in order to achieve a system more functional? I think not. We can not expect users so long without giving them a minimum follow-up. I am much disappointed with the way you operate.

Sylvie

• DaphneDaphne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I hope they do SOMETHING to improve findability, and soon. Getting things into Diigo is sweet, but I almost never go in there to look at what I've input, thus making my time spent inputting things futile. This app has so much potential... Diigo, you replied in MID-DECEMBER that 6.0 will be available "soon", and your brief description sounds promising... what is up???

• BetlamedBetlamed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linear organization is a subset of hierarchical organisation, therefore there is no point in doing it linear.

In response to Leo: I'm an Outlook user, not a Gmail user. I'm an information collector and prefer folders to tags for the copious information I collect. It's not about which (folders vs. tags) is better, cooler, hipper, more modern. It's about what the user base needs. This thread makes it clear that many Diigo users want hierarchical information organizing. Diigo's great for getting information in, but once it's in I rarely look at it because the UI just doesn't pull me in. Which makes me question why I'm bothering (and paying). Also, I can think of no technical reason the information couldn't be "stored" in more than one folder without duplication (though that's not so important to me). Another issue is that if you bookmark something you've already bookmarked, it doesn't warn you but simply creates a duplicate. Finally, people here are asking for some idea of when to expect the next version and what kind of changes it will bring. I would love to see a response to that :) Cheers, Daphne

• Leo DGLeo DG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't read all of the comments because I recentrly found this feedback link all I want to say is KEEP in mind that tags are NOT useless and the useful of diigo as a bookmarker lies on them. Outlook for example worked using folders some time ago but Gmail's power lies on using TAGS instead of FOLDERs. Folder gives you the impression it's tidy and organized but please don't tell me that if they say a bit of info can ONLY be put in one Folder/List is not way too structured. For me diigo does just perfect you have a HUGE DB of bits and most of them are related to SEVERAL topics/issues you are/will be involved in. If some topic interest you most you open up a new list for tidiness' sake and you order the way YOU like it. Please we have to be REALLY CAREFUL with our wishes in order not to destruct something that is better more general. By the way I've been using diigo for I think at least 3 years' time and have several thousand of bits of info so took my case as an example to trust me, it works if you take the time to make it work... Sometimes we blind the tools but they can't be blamed if the proccess is to blame most of the times. Keep up this huge piece of work! :)

• Christopher SkyiChristopher Skyi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the biggest drawback to diigo, why I don't/can't use it, is a lack of hierarchical organization, i.e., you can't put bookmarks into nested folders. Instead all you have are tags. Once you've got more than then 10 tags, it starts to get very hard to find things. Knowledge is organized hierarchically. Libraries organize their books hierarchically, e.g., you go to the biology section and then get more specific. Diigo is a just one big room and w/potentially 100's of tags you have to search though. It's useless.

• HD CommunsHD Communs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Managing favorites web is always important to me but must evolve strongly when there are nearby solutions (evernote)
    Search structured information becomes very important results, including the display (visual sorting by tag, category, vote, ....)
    You communicate very little and I find it annoying.
    I am looking for other solutions equivalent to Diigo if it does not communicate the news features and planning

• V TV T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am hardly wait to see this option incorporated in Diigo 6.0 . It would be wonderful to have the bookmarks organised in a familar way, because we all are already accustomed where particular bookmarks is stored in our system, and it would be much easier to find if the structure would be recognisable.

Thanks in advance, I am really enjoing using diigo.

I also find it very hard to navigate all the information I like to save. I tried out the tags and they do nothing for me - I vastly prefer lists. Lists are the reason I am with Diigo, please give them more attention. I would like folders, but at least if the lists and their contents could be more easily navigated that would help a lot. For example on the screens displaying Lists and Bookmarks within lists I would like options for: smaller type, 2 column screens, option to see more per page, and pagination at the top so I don't have to scroll down all the time. Thanks.

• Oliver SahrOliver Sahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will Diigo 6.0 be released?
    I just want to know if this is weeks, months or years away.
    I also would be keen on a screen shot hat shows this feature.

• Mark IseroMark Isero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't wait for Diigo 6.0! When is it coming out? I am hopeful that it will offer a way not only to organize links but also to display them in a beautiful way to others!

• Serge CourrierSerge Courrier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@sandy : Hope we'll can import html files organized in "folders". I use "Compass", a perfect "old fashioned" bookmark manager software for... 19 years!
    As a trainer, I teached a bunch of people how to use Diigo but never used it for my 30.000 bookmarks because there where no way to have a hierarchical view.
    I'd like to have a drag and drop feature where I could drag a new bookmark wich would inherit all of the folder names of the hierarchy as tags. So I would not have to enter all the tags.
    Will Diigo 6.0 work like that ?

Feedback and Knowledge Base